I’m feeling suicidal
Frequently asked questions
Our most frequently asked questions and our responses.
Nothing. Staying at Maytree is free for guests.
Maytree is a charity and relies on donations to fund the support services that we offer. Please see our donations page to find out how you can support Maytree.
Guests are able to catch up on sleep; spend time talking to volunteers and other guests; some explore their problems through writing, drawing, painting, or reading something that helps; others go for walks.
The stay aims to be a turning point of long-term significance. We have found 5 days to be the optimum time to provide people with a useful experience without them being over-dependent on our support.
Guests are encouraged to eat regularly, even if only a little, but we recognise that meals, shared or otherwise, can be an uncomfortable event for some people.
No, Maytree is a registered charity and is not affiliated to any other organisation. You can refer yourself.
Healthy, freshly prepared food is made for you by our volunteer team.
All of the meals we provide at Maytree are vegan but we provide dairy milk and cheese (along with vegan options for both) for those who prefer it. Meals include, home made soup, casseroles, curry, stir fry, fajitas and salads.
- A vegan diet caters for many (but not all) food allergies and intolerances.
- Vegan food is inclusive and helpful for those following a specific diet for religious reasons (I.e. those following a halal or kosher diet).
- A vegan diet is suitable for omni-diets, vegetarians and vegans alike.
- One of the most important elements of Maytree is creating a kind and gentle environment, and we feel that a vegan diet best supports this culture of kindness.
- Numerous research, show a link between food and mental health. Maytree offers a balanced and nutritious diet with fruit, salad and vegetables.
- Research at the university of Oxford (J. Poore & T. Nemeck 2018) has found that a Vegan diet is the single biggest way to reduce our environmental impact on earth.
Before you are offered a stay, a member of our team will talk you through the stay and what you need to bring.
No. We offer befriending… Some of the volunteers may be working outside of Maytree in a counselling or therapeutic environments.
While you are here there will always be two volunteers, including overnight. Sleep is important so if you are struggling during the night we are available.
We keep written records of all telephone and email contacts and assessments, and sometimes record certain aspects of an individual’s stay. This is to ensure continuity of care and support and these records are not shared outside the Maytree team.
Records are also retained for a period of time. In addition we keep anonymous statistical records for funding purposes.
Maytree operates within the remit of the Data Protection Act 1998 and Data Protection Act 2018. You can see your records on request.